Tuesday 19 February 2013

OVER THE ALPS

My baby  boy has gone to Italy this week, ski-ing with the school.  

Sunday night we got some terrible text from him, saying that he's upset and homesick, and won't be able to sleep that night (despite 30 hours on a coach).

The next night we get a text saying he hates skiing, and he wants to come home, and he's so tired.  

I want to jump in that car and rescue the little tyke.  30 hours over some bloody Alps or other isn't much - is it?  And where does one park?  

If only it could be like old-fashioned times, when the only communication you got from abroad was a postcard that arrived two weeks after you did.  And phones being so expensive, and hard to get through a harassed operator, were rarely used.  
 Silence overseas is probably better really.

This bloody text business!  And Don't get me started on that stupid Skype thing!  Thank God Son wasn't doing that caper!     

I remember going to Germany with the school, on one of those overnight couchettes.  What a bloody nightmare!  Cried most of the time - and didn't sleep.  Then when I got to this town in a beautiful valley, I cried from homesickness.  It probably doesn't hurt a 14 year old to have an awful time.  A traumatic adventure on the Continent.  Bit of a learning curve for them really.  And something to talk about on your blog!  

Next Saturday seems very far away.  Perhaps he will like skiing by then.  

3 comments:

Polly said...

Awww the poor poss, I would be feeling very much the same, I hope the trip improves for him.

Jennysmith said...

Thank you, my sweet. Yes, apparently, it did. He got a medal and everything. And came home with a sunburnt face - despite all the suncream I packed him! Bloody boys!

Hope you're well xxx

DD's Diary said...

My daughter was the same - she went to a camp over the summer and we had various angst-ridden texts. By the time I picked her up, she'd made a bunch of friends and I had to drag her away ....